Yields 4 portions.
- 1 pound red beets
- 1 tablespoon blended oil
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 cedar plank (untreated)
- 1 head frisée lettuce
- 3 egg whites, pasteurized
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup packed arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss raw beets with oil and pepper.
- Place on a roasting pan and cook at 400 degrees for approximately 1 hour, or until beets are tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a pot of boiling water, quickly blanch arugula for 2-3 seconds, then shock in ice water.
- Place blanched arugula and all remaining pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, 2-4 minutes. Reserve.
- Carefully peel cooled beets and cut into wedges. Place slices on a stainless-steel cooling rack.
- Place cedar chips in a metal pan and ignite using a “brulee torch”.
- Put burning chips and beets into a preheated 400-degree oven for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites to soft peaks, then fold in orange zest.
- Evenly distribute meringue by placing a mound in the center of 4 plates.
- Randomly place frisée leaves around meringue.
- Top frisée with beet slices.
- Drizzle pesto over entire plate and serve.