Recipe Courtesy of St. Charles Hospital
Serving size 4
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces low sodium ham OR turkey, chopped
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced peppers
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Crack eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk.
- Dice peppers, onions and potatoes.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat on the stovetop for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Sauté 1/2 cup of onions until brown and add potatoes. Cook potatoes until soft and add the paprika and chili powder. Cook potatoes until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, sauté peppers and 1/2 cup of onions in a second skillet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add meat and continue to sauté until it starts to brown slightly.
- Add eggs to the peppers, onions and meat mixture. Cook and stir until eggs are set but not dry, 3-5 minutes.
- Fill an 8-ounce jar with 1/4 cup of potatoes and 2/3 cup of egg mixture. Top with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Eat them cold or warm them in the microwave.