Recipe courtesy of Christina Adduci, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager, St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can no sodium added black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no sodium added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup canned no sodium added corn kernels, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, about 1 minute.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!