Recipe Courtesy of St. Charles Hospital
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 8 ounces crushed tomato
- 1 pound red lentils
- 2 quarts chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- Add carrot, celery, garlic, jalapeño, olive oil, ginger and onion, sauté stirring occasionally until sweating.
- Add lentils, chicken broth, crushed tomato, and bring to a simmer.
- Add curry, cinnamon, cumin and continue to simmer until lentils are tender.
- Adjust seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add cilantro and lemon juice, adjust seasoning.