Recipe Courtesy of St. Charles Hospital
Serving size 8 peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers, halved and de-seeded
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup low sodium black beans, drained
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes — garlic and onion flavor if available
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sauté and stir often until garlic and onions turn light brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to skillet and cook. Crumble it with a wooden spoon until no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add black beans and crushed tomatoes to turkey mixture and stir. Heat on low, stirring often for 10-12 minutes, stir in cilantro.
- As turkey cooks, place 4 pepper halves into boiling water for 3 minutes. Repeat for the remaining 4.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, lay peppers cut side up and fill with turkey mixture. Top each pepper half with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Bake until bubbly brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro if desired.