Recipe Courtesy of Chef Daniel Batista, AAS
- 8 pounds eggplant
- 12 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large Spanish onions
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 gallon vegetable broth
- 4 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 4 ounces minced cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice onions.
- Mince garlic and cilantro.
- Add 6 ounces olive oil to a pot and sauté onions, garlic, cumin and cayenne until brown.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and cilantro and let simmer.
- Dice eggplant then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil. Lay on sheet trays, being sure not to overcrowd.
- Bake eggplant until brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Add raisins to the pot to reconstitute.
- Add the baked eggplant and let the flavors meld for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend the soup until a creamy, uniform consistency is achieved.
- Check salt level and serve.