CPE Program of CHS and the Diocese of Rockville Centre
In keeping with the mission of Jesus, the Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program provides excellence in professional ministry education, preparing persons of all faiths to provide compassionate and respectful spiritual care to all patients and families.
The program is committed to the formation of men and women in competency as spiritual caregivers to persons of all faiths. It is an action/reflection model of adult education which unites theology with ministry; knowledge with process; and theory with practice, thus combining the practice of spiritual care with qualified supervision and peer group reflection.
The CPE program is built on the foundation of the Mission of Catholic Health Services of Long Island and the standards set by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE). Catholic Health Services of Long Island is accredited by the ACPE to offer Level I/Level II CPE and Supervisory CPE.
Learning objectives of Clinical Pastoral Education:
- Demonstrate a solid range of pastoral skills, including listening, empathic reflection, conflict resolution, crisis management and the appropriate use of religious and spiritual resources.
- Competence in providing pastoral ministry to a diversity of persons, with respect to the operative cultural and ethnic needs, social condition, systems and justice issues.
- Provide accurate and goal-oriented spiritual assessments, integrating theology and behavioral sciences.
- Demonstrate a high level of accountability, productivity, self-direction and clear, accurate clinical communication.
- Demonstrate competent use of self in ministry and leadership functions; including emotional availability, appropriate self-disclosure, clear and responsible boundaries, and a peaceful, non-judgmental presence.
- Stand as a professional among professionals, establishing collaborative relationships with medical personnel and authorities.
- To be capable of self-supervising through the realistic assessment of one's pastoral functioning.
Department of Spiritual Care and Pastoral Education
Clinical Pastoral Education Program
Available Programs and Dates
Annual Notice and Student Records