Specialized Medical Care
When you are on the front lines of an illness, you need answers, relief, expertise and support. Our interdisciplinary palliative care team, named Symptom Management and Supportive Care Services, makes sure that all your concerns are addressed. Working closely with your other medical providers, our goal is to enhance the quality of life for you or your loved ones.
Symptom Management and Supportive Care Services is specialized medical care for people with serious illness. It focuses on relief of the pain, symptoms and stress of serious illness—whatever the diagnosis. The goal is to improve quality of life for patients and their families.
Services We Provide
Care is provided by a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers and other specialists who work together with a patient’s medical team to provide an extra layer of support at any point in the course of a serious illness. Patients can receive care from the Symptom Management team at the same time they are receiving active treatment for their illness.
Our Symptom Management & Supportive Care Service team provides:
- Treatment for distressing symptoms such as pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping
- Better understanding of your condition and your choices for medical care
- Guidance & emotional support for you and your family when making medical decisions
- Family meetings to enhance communication
- Help in navigating the health care system, including coordination of your care with other providers
- Assistance with advance care planning and making your wishes known
Our Symptom Management and Supportive Care Services is available to all patients at Catholic Health hospitals. Speak to your doctor or nurse to request a consultation from our team.
For patients in our community, we have an office in West Islip, NY,, that is co-located in The Cancer Institute at Good Samaritan Hospital. Patients with any diagnosis can be seen at this location. Please call 631-828-7417 to make an appointment.
Some patients with serious illness struggle to get to their doctor’s office. Our Home Based Symptom Management team can provide consultation in your home, or by televisit, to ease the burden of getting the care you need.
Please call 631-828-7417 to learn if you are eligible for this service and to arrange a visit.