Giving Back in a Meaningful Way
Volunteers are essential to Good Shepherd Hospice's commitment to delivering the highest level of care to our patients and their families. Many volunteers join us because of their personal experience with hospice services and some are called to provide compassionate support to their community.
Whatever your reason for considering volunteering with us, we are grateful and look forward to exploring opportunities with you to ensure the best possible fit.
All Good Shepherd Hospice volunteers are required to complete our 16-hour hospice training offered in our Farmingdale and Port Jefferson locations. Please complete the request for an application and a member of our Volunteer Department staff will contact you to discuss next steps.
- Visiting with patients in various settings such as a patient’s home or assisted living facilities
- Providing respite care to families or assist with errands
- Making telephone support calls
- Visit with patients in the Inpatient Units in Port Jefferson or Rockville Centre
- Provide quiet presence, engage patient in conversation, and assist with life review
Assist the Bereavement Department to support the families and caregivers who have lost loved ones on our program and in the community. Additional training is provided.
Volunteers assist in:
- Facilitating bereavement groups
- Making support calls
- Other Bereavement Department activities
Assist team members in the office through:
- Telephone support
- Managing supplies
- Data entry
- Signing in visitors at the Inpatient Units
Meet Our Volunteers
Good Shepherd Hospice volunteers help us deliver compassionate care to our patients, their families and our staff.