Maternal Fetal Medicine
Compassionate Care for Mother and Baby
Catholic Health Services offers the latest and most advanced treatments in Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) to help women manage their health concerns prior to, during, and shortly after an un-routine pregnancy.
CHS's MFM specialists focus on providing comprehensive and compassionate patient-centered care for both mother and baby. They help mothers make educated choices based on best possible outcomes for their health, the health of their baby and their faith.
Call (855) CHS-4500 (855-247-4500) to find a CHS MFM specialist near you.
What is Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)?
Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) is a sub-specialty of obstetrics that focuses on managing health concerns of the mother and unborn babies prior to, during and shortly after an un-routine pregnancy.
Who should see a MFM specialist?
Certain medical conditions and advanced maternal age may put you, or your developing fetus or both, at higher-than-normal risk for complications during pregnancy or after.
You may be referred to a MFM specialist for the following reasons:
- You are 35 years or older
- Have medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart or kidney disease, or an autoimmune disorder
- Have diabetes or develop it during pregnancy (pregnancy induced diabetes)
- A family history of genetic/hereditary concerns
- Multiple gestation (twins, triplets, quadruplets)
- Your pregnancy is not progressing as expected
- Previous miscarriages, pregnancy complications or preterm delivery (premature birth)
- Suspected birth defects
- Fetal growth problems
- Cervical insufficiency
Why choose CHS?
You can be assured of receiving expert and compassionate care from our team of MFM specialists. CHS gives you quality health care close to home with convenient locations across Long Island.
Advanced diagnostic services
- Antepartum Testing
- Biophysical Profile
- Chorionic Villi Sampling (CVS)
- Combined First-Trimester Nuchal
- Fetal Diagnostic Procedures
- Fetal Echocardiography
- Fetal Neurosonology
- Genetic testing and or counseling
- Non-stress Test (NST)
- Translucency Screening
In addition to routine screening tests, such as ultrasound and blood and urine test, further testing may be advised to help diagnose MFM issues that require advanced care.
- Board certified perinatologists (maternal fetal medicine physician specialists)
- Certified genetic counselors
- Specialty nurses in diabetes, hypertension and fetal monitoring
Maternal Fetal Medicine services are offered at the following CHS hospitals:
Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, West Islip, NY
Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, NY
St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, Smithtown, NY
St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson, NY