Nationally Recognized Experts in Complex Care
Catholic Health's board-certified pediatric neurologists are specially trained to diagnose and treat neurological disorders in infants, children and adolescents, including brain injures, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and muscular dystrophy. Our nationally recognized neurosurgeons offer the latest technological advances for the treatment of brain tumors.
The complex nature of nervous system disorders in children requires a multidisciplinary approach. Our pediatric neurologists work with other pediatric specialists to ensure that each child and parent is empowered to make decisions. We want children to reach their highest potential and live healthy and productive lives.
Pediatric neurology services are offered at Good Samaritan Hospital (West Islip, NY) and St. Charles Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY).
Common Symptoms of Nervous System Disorders
- Changes in activity—movements or reflexes
- Changes in mood or level of consciousness
- Delays in developmental milestones
- Headache that doesn't go away
- Lack of coordination
- Loss of feeling or tingling
- Loss of sight or double vision
- Memory loss
- Muscle rigidity, tremors or seizures
Conditions Affecting the Nervous System
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Brain injury
- Brain tumors
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental disorders
- Neurodegenerative conditions
- Migraine headaches
- Movement disorders
- Muscular dystrophy
Specialized Care Close to Home
Our pediatric neurologists use advanced technology and testing for early diagnosis of nervous system disorders.
St. Charles Hospital offers specialized neurological care for children, including:
- Pediatric Brain Injury Unit. Only Pediatric Brain Injury Unit on Long Island and the only Pediatric Brain Injury Specialty Program in New York State accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- The Muscular Dystrophy Care Center. Only center on Long Island for both adults and children.
- The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center of Long Island. Inpatient epilepsy unit for adults and children dedicated entirely to the diagnosis and treatment of seizures. A level 4 center provides more complex forms of intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring and more extensive medical, neuropsychological and psychosocial treatment.
- Concussion Management Program. Concussion education, baseline testing and concussion treatment for student athletes.
Pediatric Neurology Locations
Good Samaritan University Hospital
West Islip, NY Hospital
St. Charles Hospital
Port Jefferson, NY Hospital