Recipe: Mason Jar Egg Scramble
Mason Jar Egg Scramble
Recipe courtesy of St. Charles Hospital
(Serving size 4)
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 cup of reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces low sodium ham OR turkey chopped
- 1 cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced peppers
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray
- Step 1: Crack eight large eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk.
- Step 2: Prepare ingredients. Dice peppers, onions, potatoes.
- Step 3: Use a measuring cup to measure out reduced-fat shredded cheese.
- Step 4: Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat on the stovetop for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Step 5: Sauté ½ cup of onions until brown and add potatoes. Cook potatoes until soft and add the paprika and chili powder, cook potatoes until golden brown for 10 minutes.
- Step 6: While potatoes are cooking, in a second skillet sprayed with cooking spray, sauté peppers and ½ cup of onions until soft and add chopped ham (or turkey), continue to sauté until ham slightly starting to brown.
- Step 7: Add eggs to the peppers, onions and ham mixture. Cook and stir until eggs are set but not dry for 3-5 minutes.
- Step 8: Fill an 8-ounce jar with ¼ cup of potatoes, ⅔ cup of egg mixture and top with a ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Step 9: Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Eat them cold or warm them up in the microwave.