Recipe: Turkey Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Turkey Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Recipe courtesy of St. Charles Hospital
(Serving size 8 peppers)
- 4 Medium bell peppers halved and de-seeded
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup black beans (low sodium) drained
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (99%)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (garlic and onion flavor if available)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sauté and stir often until garlic and onions turn light brown (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add ground turkey to skillet and cook, crumble it with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add black beans and crushed tomatoes to turkey mixture and stir, heat on low, stirring often (10-12 minutes), stir in cilantro.
- As turkey cooks (10-12 minutes) place 4 pepper halves into boiling water for 3 minutes, repeat for the remaining 4.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, lay peppers cut side up and fill peppers with turkey mixture.
- Top each pepper half with 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese, bake until bubbly brown (20-25 minutes).
- Serve with fresh cilantro if desired