Support When You Need It Most
At Good Shepherd Hospice, we view grief as a journey and not as an event. Each of us experiences grief in our own unique way. When someone you love dies, the world suddenly changes and you are challenged to find new ways to live in it. It’s important to be aware of how grief is affecting your daily life.
Our bereavement specialists are committed to providing comprehensive, evidence informed bereavement support and education to grieving adults and children in Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Our bereavement services are an additional benefit provided to our hospice families for 13 months after the death of their loved one. These services are not limited to those families who have utilized our hospice program. We welcome those who have experienced the death of a loved one in the community and are in need of support. These services are free of charge.
Bereavement Services for Adults & Children
- Bereavement mailings providing support and education to patients' families for 13 months.
- Grief holiday workshop series for support during holidays such as Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Thanksgiving, Hanukah and Christmas.
- Interfaith celebration-of-life services.
- Lights of Love—a holiday memorial program held each December.
- Short-term counseling for families and individuals of all ages.
- Adult bereavement support groups facilitated by our bereavement specialists. These eight-week groups are designed to offer support and grief education in a safe, confidential environment.
- Specialized bereavement services for children and teens.
Children grieve differently than adults when a loved one dies. Good Shepherd Hospice provides a safe, supportive environment for grieving children.
Our evidence-informed services promote healthy grieving, healing, education, growth and hope for the future.
- Bob Sweeney’s Camp H.O.P.E.—a free two-day summer camp for grieving children
- Bob Sweeney’s Holiday Party—a free event for grieving children who have lost a parent, grandparent or sibling
- Connections—an eight-week group bereavement program for children and their caregivers
New events coming soon.
Coping During the Holidays
Carolyn Lisi-Haas, bereavement specialist, shares how to get through the holidays after losing a loved one.