Giving Back in a Meaningful Way
For over 100 years, the volunteer program at Mercy Hospital has played an essential role in the life of the hospital and the lives of our patients. Mercy Hospital currently has close to 300 active volunteers ranging from 16 to 95 years old.
Mercy Volunteers give their time and their talents to further the mission of Mercy Hospital and help its patients and staff. They serve in almost all of the hospital’s departments doing many jobs, serving in both clinical and non-clinical areas.
Steps to Volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Mercy Hospital. To discuss current volunteer opportunities and/or request and application, please contact:
To volunteer, you need to be 16 years of age or older. You must also meet all medical requirements and pass a background check before you may begin volunteering. All requirements are detailed on our volunteer application.
Our volunteer application process consists of:
1. Initial brief phone screening (to ensure that both applicant’s and hospital’s interests, needs and expectations will be met).
2. Two-part application is completed by applicant and returned.
a. Administrative Requirements. This section provides the Volunteer Department with information about you, your background, interests, availability and reference information.
b. Medical Requirements. This section lists medical information/records that you must provide to the Mercy Hospital Employee Health Services department before your application can be considered (Medical History, PPD/Physical Exam/Medical Provider Certification/Flu/COVID-19 Vaccination and Lab Titers).
3. Background Check. After you have been medically cleared by the hospital’s Employee Health Services department, you will be sent an email link to Sterling Volunteers who will perform a background check on you. Sterling Volunteers is a legally-compliant third party provider and results of their background check will be kept confidential.
After you have successfully completed all of the above, you will be contacted to schedule your orientation/assignment interview and receive your uniform and ID badge.
Our volunteers are assigned to various departments, including:
- Concierge desk/front desk
- Emergency department
- Family Care Center
- Food and nutritional services
- Human Resources
- Gift shop
- HIMS-Medical Records
- Labor & Delivery
- Nursing units
- Pastoral care/eucharistic ministers
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Special events
- Volunteer and other offices throughout the hospital
Volunteer Service Areas
Our volunteers serve in over 20 hospital areas, including:
- Patient care (includes Nursing Units, Emergency Department, Rehabilitation)
- Spiritual/pastoral care
- Visitor services (front desk, concierge desk)
- Supporting staff in hospital offices
Meet Our Volunteers
Mercy Hospital volunteers help us deliver compassionate care to patients and their families.