Recipe courtesy of St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
Yields 1½ cups
- 1 large bunch (about 1 pound) fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into medium pieces (include tender parts of stems and leaves) or a 1-pound bag frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
- 1 15½-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere, cheddar or vegan cheese
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- If using fresh broccoli, lightly steam it first: Place raw broccoli pieces in a steamer basket inside a saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Steam on medium heat for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender and bright green. Or, steam fresh broccoli in the microwave: Place raw broccoli pieces in a large microwave-safe dish or bowl with ½-inch water at bottom. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until just tender and bright green. Drain water.
- Toss steamed broccoli and chickpeas with olive oil. Place in a 9-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. Top evenly with grated cheese, then top evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1½ cups /Serves 6
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 19g