Recipe Courtesy of Stefani Sassos, MS, RD, CSO, CDN Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition, Catholic Health Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning, see recipe below
- 1 egg, lightly beaten or 1 flax egg — combine 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons water and let rest for 5 minutes until it forms a gel
- Olive oil
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Place half of the mixture in a small food processor and process until it has a paste-like consistency. Combine with the other half of the mixture.
- Create patties with your hands.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Serve on whole wheat buns or lettuce wraps with condiments of choice.
Make your own taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper