- 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until not quite done, about 6 minutes. Drain.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour, mustard powder and pepper. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly stir in the milk, beating out any lumps. Add the American and processed cheeses and stir constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Drain elbow macaroni and stir into the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and cover the dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce is thick and bubbly.