Recipe courtesy of St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
Yields 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds (about 2½ cups) unpeeled Yukon Gold or red-skinned new potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites**
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onion and garlic; combine to coat the mixture with olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking until the potatoes are tender, yet still firm. (Add more oil if needed.) Remove from the heat.
- Mix the sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and paprika into the potato-onion mixture in the skillet. Fold in the spinach.
- Separately, lightly whisk the eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour the eggs over the spinach-potato-onion mixture. Return to the heat. As the eggs cook, shake the skillet so the egg mixture flows to the other ingredients. Use a spatula to gently raise the edges of the tortilla so the uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- As the edges of the tortilla begin to set, remove put the skillet from the stove top and place it under the oven broiler. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the top becomes golden brown and the eggs are set. Remove from the broiler with a hot pad; cool slightly so you can handle the skillet.
- Slide the spatula around the edges and underneath the tortilla. Gently slide the tortilla from skillet onto a serving plate. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Cut in wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley.
Serving size: 1 piece
- Calories: 230 kcal
- Calories from fat: 70
- Total fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 30gm
- Sodium: 390mg
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- Sugar: 4g
- Fiber: 4g