Vestibular therapy is a highly-specialized physical therapy for dizziness, vertigo and imbalance resulting from inner ear damage, stroke, brain injury or concussion. Catholic Health's vestibular therapists at St. Charles Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY) are trained in specific techniques and work with the most advanced technologies for vestibular therapy.
Our therapists understand the impact that feeling unsteady, dizzy and off-balance can have on your physical and emotional health. They work closely with you to create a customized treatment plan that helps you reclaim your life.
St. Charles Hospital is the only Long Island hospital accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation and outpatient medical rehabilitation for adults and children.
Conditions We Treat
- Acoustic neuroma—benign tumor on the nerve that connects the ear to the brain
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)—affects fluid in the inner ear
- Inner ear concussion syndrome—internal ear injury
- Labyrinthitis—inner ear swelling and irritation
- Meniere’s disease—inner ear disorder
- Perilymphatic fistula—tear or defect in the inner membranes of the inner ear
- Post-concussion syndrome—symptoms last beyond the initial injury
- Stroke—loss of blood flow to the brain
- Traumatic brain injury—a sudden injury that causes damage to the brain
- Vestibular neuritis—inflammation of the vestibular nerve in the ear
Techniques and Treatments We Offer
- Balance therapy
- Biodex balance system—balance education and training
- Epley maneuver—series of head movements to reduce vertigo
- Frenzel goggles—combined lighting system and magnifying glass
- Functional canalith repositioning treatment (CRT)—series of head movements
- Individualized treatment plan
- Manual therapy—kneading and manipulation of muscles
- NeuroCom balance manager—evaluates balance and mobility
- Posture screening and re-education